22/02/2013

Italy should vote...


On Sunday and Monday Italy is voting. It is the big Italian election 24 and 25 February 2013 everyone (the whole world actually) has waiting for is finally here. The result is important not only for Italy but it is very important also for the whole eurozone and kind of important for the whole world economy.

Milan has since over a month been full of election posters and the TV hasn't done anything else than talking about politics. My head is exploding. Both because it is too much politics for my taste, but also because even if I have read as much as I could in the last few days and have talked to many different people I find it impossible to get the whole picture of this election.

To make is sound "dramatic" the Italians can choose in between:
- One soon 80 years old man that should not only retired but should also be put into prison
- One university professor
- One stand up comedian
- One politician that in the last weeks has been in the center of a bank scandal
- Then we had a big liar but he resigned just the other day....
...
I would have no clue who to vote for, that's for sure.

But I am not alone. They say 1 of 5 of the Italians still today doesn't know who to vote for. But the other day I found this website: Voi siete qui





I answered 25 tricky questions and got the result above. Apparently, I lean towards the center-left side and many of my opinions goes well together with the parties of Mario Monti. I am not overly surprised. He is the only one, according to me, able to get Italy moving towards in the right direction. According to his ideas the Italians would have to live a bit harder life for a while with higher taxes, higher costs and better controls.... But I do believe that is the only way Italy would be able to have a brighter future.

Unfortunately many Italians don't think like that, they have never done and will never do. They want to live good today, no matter what the future will bring. That is why the country is close to collapsing. Few years ago people has retired at the age of 40-45 years, can you image how high pension costs Italy has got today? Also, many employees, paid by the state, still today works part time and earns as they would do full time. School teachers works never more than 20 hours a week and earns over the average Italian full time salary. And they have got more than 3 months paid holiday a year as well.

But well, a small detail to all this is that I can't vote in Italy. But it is interesting to read and discuss the Italian politics anyway.

Here is a very interesting article from the Economist "Who can save Italy".
I agree with every word they say.

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Vicino fare per fermare il declino

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh Italian politics r impossible to understand. as long as not the pensioner that should be in prison wins I am happy anyway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of them should be in prison. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Higher taxes? For a period? Maria.. The problem is that the present Tax system is one of the Highest in europe.. Politicians should improve the control.. And build a more efficient system... Too easy only to increase! It's like a cheat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, you didn't get anything of what I said? However, what you are saying is still with Monti's and Bersani's politics so I am not gonna argue against you. You are completely right...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...