06/11/2012

The best of me by Nicholas Sparks


Nicholas Sparks is an author most people has heard of – how can you have not heard of Nicholas Sparks? He has written 16 novels, every single one has been on top lists all around the world and most of his novels has already been or is currently under production to be a film. That is what I call a real author. There for I am almost ashamed saying that "The best of me" is the first book of Nicholas Sparks that I have read. I have seen some of his movie productions and two of his movies are among my favourite films of all time, "The notebook" and "a walk to remember".

But from now on I gonna start my little collection of both his books and films!

The best of me is a beautiful story of two young people falling endlessly in love during high school but is tiered apart. Many years later they are called back to their home town to the a funeral and will be confront hard choices

Nicolas Spark's books always follows a kind of "tragic storyline" about love, life and death. He has a fabulous way of describing the characters and the settings which makes it easy to follow and easy to fall into.

I don't think I ever cried so much while reading a book as I did with this one. But I guess some of my friends can remember how much I cry every time I watch "The notebook" or "A walk to remember". First time watching "The notebook" I only managed to stop crying more than an hour after the film ended... However, I have to add that while reading "The best of me" I also laughed a lot.

Two beautiful quotes from the book:
“Being together isn’t about a honeymoon. It’s about the real you and me. I want to wake up with you beside me in the mornings, I want to spend my evenings looking at you across the dinner table. I want to share every mundane detail of my day with you and hear every detail of yours. I want to laugh with you and fall asleep with you in my arms. Because you aren’t just someone I loved back then. You were my best friend, my best self, and I can’t imagine giving that up again… You might not understand but I gave you the best of me, and after you left nothing was ever the same.. I know you’re afraid, and I’m afraid too. But if we let this go, if we pretend none of this ever happened, then I’m not sure we’ll ever get another chance. We’re still young. We still have time to make this right…We still have the rest of our lives.”

“Don’t take my advice. Or anyone’s advice. Trust yourself. For good or for bad, happy or unhappy, it’s your life, and what you do with it has always been entirely up to you.”


I have heard some people that don't want to read Nicholas Sparks´s books as they always walk on the sad side, but I think his books are so much more than that. The author writes an east to read storyline with lots of passion. I cherish a book that can tug on my heartstrings. A book that can make me feel emotion. The Best of Me was just that...A book with love, loss, heart ache and joy that kept my attention until the end.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. If you like this kind of books I can recommend you Douglas Kennedy's The Moment and Bernard Schlink's The Reader. Both beautiful and tragic love stories, without being overly romantic. I have them both in English if you feel like reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to borrow them both! Do you want to borrow "the best of me"?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...