21/08/2012

The Aeolian islands - The vulcano islands with black beaches, fascinating nature and wild dolphins.

The Aeolian islands, Isole Eolie in Italia, are a vulcanic archipelago in the Tyrrhenian sea north of Sicily, outside the coast of Calabria. The islands are results or vulcanic activity over a period of 260 000 years.There are seven islands; Lipari, Vulcano, Salina, Stromboli, Filicudi, Aliduci, Panarea and Basiluzzo. We visited only three of them; Vulcano (the most carateristic), Lipari (the largest one) and Stromboli (the most touristic). I am a bit sad that I didn't manage to see also Panarea which is famous for the most posh island, not sure what that means...

The Aeolian islands are very popular tourist destination in the summer but I can say I have seen nicer places in my life....  The nature is awesome and the volcanos are fascinating. But as the islands are made of volcanos the beaches are made of fine black sand which is cool but it can never (at least in my eyes) look as good as white sand beaches. The vegetation of the island was amazing with flowers we have never seen in our lives. And the most amazing experience was to see wild dolphins jumping around the boat. I have never seen wild dolphins before and spilled a tear of happiness. We also saw a big whale from the boat spouting water from its back and keeping its massive tail up. The captain said they see the dolphins almost every day but the whales only once in a while so we were lucky. Neither myself or Cicci manage to get any photos of the dolphins or the whale but they will be well kept in out memories for sure.

Panorama in Lipari

Vulcano seen from the boat

Panarea seen from the boat

Lipari

Lipari

Back in Capo Vaticano with out little boat







It was a very different and powerful experience to visit the Aeolian islands and I would absolutely recommend whoever visit Sicily or Calabria to take a trip there. Also passing a whole weekend at the islands could be cool but it is not a place I would spend a whole holiday... I will write more about the islands I visited later on.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Black beaches, so cool! I would had been impressed

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...