03/03/2013

Living in London


Picture taken from the amazing motivation tumblr site "Before I die"
"Before I die I should move to/live in London - Everyone should"

I got an e-mail the other day and with an OK from the girl I got it from I would like to share it together with my answer with all of you.

Hej Marliina.

Jag heter Lisa, är 21 år och kommer från Stockholm. Jag hittade din blogg för nån vecka sen och det slutade med att jag satt i flera timmar och bläddra igenom dina blogginlägg från både London, Milano och Stockholm. Jag blev otroligt imspirerad och peppad att flytta utomlands jag med men vet inte hur jag ska ta mig till. Vad är första steget? Det är framför allt London jag känner mig sugen på eftersom jag skulle behöva öva min engelska och jag tycker London verkar vara sån härlig stad. Hur ska jag göra nu? Jag hade ju egentligen tänkt att söka till Universitetet till hösten men känner mig inte alls sugen så jag skulle ju kunna flytta till London istället. Men hur är min fråga? Skulle du rekommendera London som stad? Hur hittar man boende? och jobb? Mina föräldrar har lovat hjälpa mig med pengar men något måste jag ju göra där ändå. Volontärsjobb finns det?
Vore jätteglad om du kunde svara mig med lite tips och så.
Jag följer nu din blogg slaviskt och jag önksar att jag hade ditt mod och energi.
Kram Lisa


In English, translated by Google:

Hello Marliina.

My name is Lisa, I am 21 years old and comes from Stockholm. I found your blog a few weeks ago and I ended up sitting for hours to browse through your blog posts from London, Milan and Stockholm. I got incredibly inspired to move abroad, but I do not know how I'm going to do it. What is the first step? It is mainly London I am interested in because I would like to practice my English, and I think London seems to be such a lovely town. What should I do now? I was intended to apply to university this autumn, but do not feel like doing it so I though I could move to London instead. But how is my question? Would you recommend London as a city? How do I find accommodation? and a job? My parents have promised to help me with money but I have do do something anyway. Are there volunteer jobs?
Would be happy if you could answer me with some tips and ideas.
I am now following your blog and I very much wish I had your courage and energy.
Hugs Lisa


I would like to start by saying that I would recommend EVERYONE to live in London for some period of their life. Or in New York. It is such amazing experience! To learn English obviously is a good reason but it is not because of that I suggest it to people. London is amazingly unique for it's people and for it's culture. People comes from all around the world to London to do different kinds of experiences and as there are so many "immigrants" people are getting extremely open minded and open to meet new people. I guess it is the only place in the world where you can meet friends for life just taking the underground to work.

I didn't like London as a city before I moved there. I found it gray and even if I can't say it is ugly it had nothing that really cached my interest. It had good shopping and nice nightclubs, that was all the good things I could tell about it before I took the step to move there. Now when I go back I feel London has it all. Whatever I am looking for (except good weather) I can find it there. The variety the city offers is incredible, there is something for everyone.

I moved to London in 2006 alone without knowing anyone there but I had the job contract sighed before I left Sweden. I also already had a room to share with friends of a good friend of mine. So I must say I made it easy for myself. But I would say London is a place you can go without knowing anyone and without having neither job or a flat before arriving.

A room can be find easily trough Gumtree (http://www.gumtree.com/). Sometimes you can move in the day after and sometimes you have to wait a couple of weeks. However it is a quick process.

Also, some kind of job can always be found. The employee turnover in London is high, especially for the easier and less qualified jobs like in shops, bars or restaurants. For someone who is moving to London just for some time I would recommend to look for jobs seeking the languages they speak. There are lots of language recruitment companies that are always looking for "customer services people" with native language speaking knowledge.

Another idea is to work as a nanny. I have friends that has been doing that and it means that you get a room in a house with a English family, you might have to pick up the kids up from school in the afternoon and help out with home works or bring them to sport activities. You normally have mornings and evenings free, get a small payment plus a place to sleep and some food.

Like I said in the beginning, I would really recommend everyone I know to do a living experience in London. The four years I lived in London changed me positively in all kinds of way and I am very thankful for that. London for me will always be like a second home.

xoxo

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...